Well, as of this week, congress put Polar Bears on the Threatened Species List. (Now I forget, which article of the constitution does that power fall under again?)
I know this subject has already been visited to some extent, but I came across a very good article that I couldn't help putting up on the blog. It is comical and very well written. The author is Roy Spencer, a principal research scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, and has written a few books on the subject of global warming.
Check it out:
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MDQ3
NzcyYTdkYmM4NjBjOTRkMDVlYzQ4OGU3OGFmNTU=
Among other things, it made me think about the extremely high levels of child indoctrination that our society has regarding eco-friendly subjects and history. Arctic Tale, Happy Feet, Spirit, and Pocahontas are a few that immediately come to mind. I don't think it's fair to ask them not to tell their point of view, it just surprises me to see a complete absence of balanced or rational thinking.
In the movie Spirit (about an animated horse), the character starts out by saying: "There have been a lot of things written about the old west, but I'll tell you the REAL story." (ie. don't listen to what the actual accounts or historians say, this animated horse will tell what really happened by appealing to your emotions.) If you haven't seen it, I'm sure you can imagine how this story about animals, Indians, and white colonists progressed from there. At one point, this horse is heroically responsible for an entire village of colonists being destroyed.
I honestly remember when I was a kid, Morgan and I talking about our intense hatred for poachers, and thinking that their punishment should fit the crime: The death penalty for killing elephants and tigers. And that was in a very conservative household.
Maybe I am over analyzing this. Maybe such things have always existed and you are just supposed to start thinking critically as part of maturing. Something just seems really off to me. To be honest, that is the main thing that I dislike about most Hollywood movies: Dealing with issues not with facts or evidence, but purely by emotional appeal.
Friday, May 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment