Wednesday, August 27, 2008

We need a frugal and fiscally responsible government

I wanted to start this post because I think all of us are in agreement on this subject, and wanted to share some recent comments I found on a pro-Romney web site which gives just one example of Romney's frugal nature. He did the same type of thing in Massachusetts as governor when he balanced the state budget. I'm sure however that his very liberal democrat successor (Deval Patrick) has undone all the savings Romney implemented. I've added quotes to this next section because Justin Hart is the author, not me:
This is from the web site: http://www.mymanmitt.com
posted by Justin Hart 9:12 AM permalink
"Dear Friends of MyManMitt,
When Mitt Romney took over the reins of the financially failing Salt Lake City Olympics he was invited to meet the entire Olympic committee. The meeting was scheduled for the only five star hotel in Utah with a lunch layout that would make Caesar jealous. Mitt canceled the venue and moved it to the Olympic offices they were already paying for. He ordered pizza and charged a dollar per slice. In the end, the Olympics made a $100 million profit.
Given the chance, I have no doubt that Mitt Romney would foster this same frugal flare and apply it to the biggest behemoth, the United States Government. The weight of regulation, taxation, and energy policy folly would come into stark relief with Romney's insight and influence." end of quotes
It's possible that Romney will be McCain's VP pick. Personally, I think Romney will add alot to the McCain ticket, and make it much more fiscally responsible than the Obama-Biden ticket. I would also love to see Ron Paul and his supporters continue to influence the Republican party in a positive way to encourage fiscal responsibility and planning ahead for our children and grandchildren. Romney also is very pro "free market" like Ron Paul is. The only things they seem to disagree on is foreign policy and possibly also national defense funding, but I'll leave that for another post subject.

2 comments:

Hyrum Andrews said...

Thanks Phil - very insightful. I wish that McCain picked Romney too, but I guess he wanted to go with the "historic" choice of choosing a female.

I haven't done too much research yet, but I was reading up on Sarah Palin a month or so ago when I was doing a research project on the polar bears being put on the threatened species list. I remember being actually pretty impressed by her, though. She seems like a strong, no nonsense, honest type of politician.

Political campaign speeches are becoming ever more pointless to watch. All you see is an hour of endless promises of how they are going to somehow fix every problem that exists, without ever talking about where the money is going to come from to fund such programs. I don't understand why. Is responsibility really that unpopular?

Hyrum Andrews said...

First of all, quick note on my last comment. Political speeches were boring, until Sarah Palin in the Republican Convention. She tore it up.

Also, regarding the topic of the post, I came across an interesting article from MSNBC. Here is the link.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/09/16/the-fed-is-not-our-sugardaddy.aspx

The title is pretty self explanatory: Fed's new role: Sugar Daddy.

It brings up some really good points though. Since when is it the feds job to bail out failing businesses. Loosing is an essential part of a capitalistic economy. I'm no economic expert, but I think that all their bailing out, including the most recent bail out of AIG is screwing up the economy even worse in the long run, aside from costing tax payers 400 billion so far. Its a good article as far as explaining why that is.

Whats worse is the precedent has now been set. Some of both McCain and Obama's top campaign contributors are companies on Wall Street such has Lehman and Merrill Lynch (see http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26760673), to see if they can make Christmas happen for them too. Free handouts from Uncle Sam! His pockets are infinitely deep, right?