Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Obama's Health Care plan

After too long of blog silence, I decided to open a discussion about one of the big issues right now: Obama's new heath care plan.

I recently wrote a letter to my three congresswomen representatives. Since I explained my rational and objections in the letter, I thought I would just paste a copy of the letter I composed. I would encourage all to write to their representatives today. Obama is pushing them to pass the bill by their August recess. Feel free to copy any part of my letter if you wish.

Honorable Senator,

Please send Obama's Health care plan back to the drawing board and VOTE NO.

I agree with Mr. Obama on this point: Our health care system is a mess. However, the method that he is going about to "fix" it will just make it even worse. He is invalidating the free market.

First of all, once again, while saying that he is fighting for transparency, this is an ominous spending bill that few people know much about. He is trying to push it through without time to think, analyze, or debate. We need more clarity! We need more transparency! Please demand these things on behalf of your constituency!

Second, the reason why health care in America currently costs more per capita than any other country's is because that it is neither government controlled nor free market controlled. This nasty in-between situation allows for special inflation of the heath care sector due to monies dumped into the system by the government. I personally know people who have made exuberant sums of money by taking advantage of this situation.

Obama's solution is dumping more money into the system? Obama's solution is to limit the free market aspects of the health care system? No wonder he wants to push the legislation though before anyone can stop to think about it. His "solution" will only exacerbate the problems that already exist. It is just like the sub-prime lending mess. Lenders were compelled by the government to give out home loans that were not realistic. The whole system crashed when the realization came that most of the money and credit that existed was manufactured. Bad things happen when the government interferes with company and consumer choices.

Government needs to either pull out of health care altogether, and let the free market and competition drive prices down to affordable levels, or convert it to a completely state run system, which would allow government to regulate the cost of health care. I am in favor of the free market and competition, and would not require amending the constitution. It has been tried and proven to be most effective. But either one would be better than Obama's plan. He is so idealistic he does not realize this.

I beg you to use common sense and not follow party lines on this one. We cannot afford to spend trillions more on a system that will lead to more waste. Tell Obama that he has gone too far this time.

Vote NO, and send back Obama's health care plan.

Sincerely,
Hyrum Andrews

1 comment:

R.Song said...

Good one, Hyrum. I think a little plagerizing may be in order... It bothers me that people, including Fox news, argue how this Health Care Plan is so political, and the Democrats are pushing it through, and they need to involve the Republicans on a solution. I, however, would support a third option: rather than deciding the best way to it, both sides should leave it alone. My favorite solution is to do nothing. In fact, pull back regulations. You mentioned that in your letter, and I agree.