Monday, June 7, 2010

June 8th 2010 Primary elections - THAT'S TOMMOROW!

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but the primaries this year kind of snuck up on me. I usually like to get this dialogue happening sooner, but better late than never I guess...

As we have done for the past couple elections, I like to get people's input. I have listed here the ones in my ballot, but feel free to put your own. Here is my votes and reasons:

Prop 13: Yes. Common sense incentive for retrofitting buildings for earthquakes.

Prop 14: NO. Looks like a clever heist to empower unions and other big organizations to decide who the top two on the ballot are. It seems like it is anti party until you get to that part - THE TOP TWO. Just a stupid initiative that someone is paying Able Maldonado to be the puppet to pass.

Prop 15: No, there is nothing good about publicly funded campaigns.

Prop 16: I am voting NO. I would be for it if it didn't require a 2/3 majority. Why not a simple majority? A 2/3 requirement is usually non-passable. It seems to me that someone is using the "voter approval" political buzzword to make sure they keep the bid as the power company. Maybe the same company that is paying for all those TV spots and fancy fliers? I smell a rat.

Prop 17: Yes. Seems sensible enough.

Governor:

I'm still undecided. Lawrence Naritelli seems to be a great constitutional candidate. Poizner is backed by Tom McClintock, but Whitman is backed by Romney and many others. I will probably vote for Whitman because it's game over for our state if Jerry Brown gets back in, and I think she may be the best one to beat him.

Lieutenant Governor:

Sam Aanestad is my choice. Able Maldonado voted for the big tax increase after he was bought off by political favors. As part of that deal is also got prop 14 on the ballot. I think he is really crooked.

Secretary of State:

Joseph can speak more to Orly Taite. She is a very conservative firecracker that wants to pursue the Obama birth certificate issue. Personally I don't care much about that issue. It should have been handled at the appropriate time, but since it was not, I think now it is a diversion from more important issues that Obama is doing to tear up this nation.
Because I feel that way, I am not sure how I will vote.

Controller: I don't know.

Attorney General:

John Eastman seems really solid. Was affiliated with justice Clarence Thomas and seems to think the same way on many issues. Also endorsed by Roger Hedgecock.

Insurance Commissioner:

Brian Fitzgerald. Reason? He is not Mike Villines, who traded sides and voted for the huge CA tax increase.

State Board of Equalization:

Michelle Steel

US Senator:

I will probably vote for Carly Florina. I really like Chuck Devore, but I just can't imagine - in my wildest dreams - that he will de-throne the old Boxer. In Tennessee he would, but not in California.

US Rep. (53rd):

C Mason Weaver - good guy.

Judges:

No. 14: Craig Candelore
No. 20: Jim Miller, Jr.
No. 21: Bill Trask
No. 27: Harold Coleman, Jr.
No. 34: Larry "Jake" Kincaid

I don't know much about these judges. This is just going off the republican voter guide for San Diego, who I trust to endorse the most conservative judges. http://www.sandiegorepublicans.org/voterguide/

State Superintendent of Public Instruction:

Lydia Gutierrez seemed to have a good bio. I would NOT vote for Tom Torlakson, he is union backed.

Board of Supervisors:

Ron Roberts

Assessor-Recorder County Clerk:

Jeff Olson seems to get most endorsements, including the unions - which I guess isn't ALWAYS a bad thing... I'm not sure on this one.

Sheriff:

Liked the bio of Jay La Suer the best. Jim Duffy is union backed.

Treasurer-Tax collector:

As long as it's not the Sheriff of Nottingham I am okay.

Prop B: No, but I'm really not sure. Does term limits make them more dysfunctional or more honest?

Prop D: Yes.

5 comments:

Batman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Batman said...

After that long post I just deleted, I went and prayed about the Sheriff issue. I will be changing my vote to LaSuer, as difficult as that is for me. The bottom line is that he will push to allow concealed carry (firearms) by law abiding citizens, and that burned the right way.

Dave Hernandez.

Hyrum Andrews said...

Thanks for the input Dave. I didn't have a strong opinion either way. You are much closer to and knowledgeable about the candidates for Sheriff with your job; I will vote with you. This is exactly why I find networking useful around election time.

Ron said...

Hyrum, Thanks for the research. It gave me a head start. You might also check out Ballotpedia

I think I'll vote No on Prop. 17. Funded by Mercury Insurance and Jerry Brown rewrote the title after a $13,000 donation to his campaign.

Sparrow said...

Thanks for the info Hyrum. This one snuck up on me to and I appreciated your help. We'll I'm off to vote!