Prop 26 increases the voting requirement to two-thirds majority for certain state a local fees. Currently, the CA Constitution requires a two-thirds majority to raise taxes, but only a simple majority to raise fees on both a state a local level. Both state and local government legislative bodies have become very creative about raising fees that act like taxes - this prop was designed thwart this effort.
Pros
Makes it more difficult for both state and local government to raise fees.
Cons
Environmentalists claim that it would make it easier for companies to pollute the environment.
In my opinion, this is a good prop. Anything to reduce taxes, fees and regulations would be a step in the right direction to get government off the backs of business and property owners. I am currently familiar with dozens of examples of property owners and businesses who are being terrorized by taxation and regulations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I voted Yes. I HATE the loophole that allows the government to add "fees" to EVERYTHING.
Did you know that if you get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt, the ticket is $20 bucks...but the fees make the ticket a whopping $120 to $150 ???
Fees are hidden taxes that we don't get to vote on. I think it's time to force our elected officials to fight over this, instead of allowing the party-in-power to simply raise/add "fees" whenever they like.
Dave H.
Post a Comment