Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"So this is how democracy ends. To thuderous applause."

-Padme Amidala, Star Wars, Episode 3.

I actually have to give Bryan Harrison credit for that one. He texted it to me during Obama's acceptance speech last night. I thought it was too good not to put on the blog.

Well, he won. I'm not sure quite what to think because it still seems to me like no one really knows him. The only thing I am sure of is that America is now on the fast track to socialism. Wait up Europe, here we come!

Hooray for historic events! ...Now we better not hear another peep out of Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

4 comments:

Phil Andrews said...

Well, I was actually rooting more for CA Prop 8, than I was for the presidential election. So that victory, for me, offsets the presidential election results somewhat. I do wish Obama the best, and will pray for him that he will make good decisions, though I'm certainly not going to get my hopes up very high in that regard. Wanting to look on the bright side, I do see some good coming from this:
1) McCain was far from my ideal GOP candidate, so this opens up the field to my favorite candidate Romney again in 2012 or 2016, or to some other candidate who might be good if Romney doesn't run again. As long as we don't get the Huckster. That would be a disaster, but at least he would have zero chance of actually becoming president - he just could be a spoiler for Romney, like he was in this past election.
2) The democrats and their allies can no longer blame the Bush administration for everything, at least not for the new decisions. Since they will have majorities in congress, the senate, plus the presidency, they will have only themselves to blame for any poor decisions which they make. But I do hope they can make some good ones as well.
3) If they aren't able to improve the economy over the next few years, and if, as I suspect, they only make it worse or even if they simply stymie its recovery, it will make it easier for a Republican who is seen as good for the economy (such as Romney) to come in and be in a good position to win an election.
4) This takes McCain out of any future presidential election. Although at his age, this probably would have happened anyway.
5) This will give a chance for the public to see if the democrat ideals will have the results which the democrats have been touting these past many years. If they do, then more power to them (at least on the stuff I agree with), and if they don't, wellthen the public will see it first hand. Whether they choose to overlook or ignore the results, well, that could happen too. It will be interesting to see if the main stream media turns a blind eye to any undesirable consequences or not, and whether Obama will remain their idol or not. I am betting that they will treat him opposite to the way they treated Bush.
Of course there are many things that I am worried about too, that may happen during this next administration, but it helps to look at the bright side, and fortunately we have the Gospel which assures us that our future is bright no matter what happens around us, if we remain faithful to what we know is truth and full of light.

Hyrum Andrews said...

Good points, Phil, I appreciate the optimism, and thanks so much to all you that worked with us on prop 8 even though it wasn't your state. That really was a victory against all odds. Since McCain wasn't my ideal candidate either, I was putting higher emotional stakes on it, and I'm glad it passed. I was surprisingly pleased with a lot of the other California prop results as well.

Unfortunately, In my gut I'm positive that the war is far from over though. I'm still cringing and waiting to see what the San Francisco 9th circuit court of appeals has in store for us next.

It will be interesting to see what the next few years hold. I think that the 500 point drop in the DOW the first day Obama was elected may be an ironic foreshadowing of our economy's future under this administration. What a difference it makes to have the media on your side though. I wonder how long the finger will be continued to be pointed at Bush and the Republicans for all of America's problems.

Rachey said...

Thuderous? Lol, I don't know why, but every time I read that I think of cows udders thundering.

That is one of my fave Star Wars quotes, funnily enough, it was interpreted at the time to be reffering to our George W. Bush.

Hyrum Andrews said...

Wouldn't surprise me in Lucas wrote it for Bush. He was one of the ones that forked out a large dollar amount to defeat prop 8. It ended up fitting Obama a lot better though. Almost all of his speeches ended up more like Rock concerts then Presidential events. I think that was one of his keys to victory. C'mon, who wants to vote for the BORING guy?