Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cheating!

Now let me preface this by saying, I understand that this is just how politics work.

In West Virginia's caucus votes this morning, Romney won the first vote, leading over Huckabee by over 100. McCain was in third, with somewhere around 100 votes. When the McCain camp realized they could not win, they abandoned McCain and voted for Huckabee to keep Romney from winning. Not cool! As a result of this, Huckabee won with 52% to Romney's 47% and McCain got 0%. Is there anyone else out there who just feels like this is dirty?

How can Huckabee feel good about the 18 delegates he won, when he knows it was only the result of a cheap ploy from the McCain side?

7 comments:

Hyrum Andrews said...

Wow! that is horrible! and just when you think you live in democratic political system. I am beginging to agree more and more with Phil. I think Hucabee is running to ensure that Romney does not win. He and McCain will make the perfect corrupt running mates.

R.Song said...

Wrong? Unfair? Maybe so, but it's reality. That's the way America works, and it's called politics. We watch the polls, listen to the media and line up along party lines. Then we vote for the one we hate the least WHO WE THINK CAN WIN. I don't know whether to call it selling ourselves out or compromising.

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to realize the flaws in a democracy. If I could choose the president, that would be perfect. But I can't. I don't run the country. A democracy means I trust my nieghbors more than the government. I think it's time we all came to realize that Romney and Paul, or even McCain are not getting elected. It will probably be Hillary, maybe Obama, possibly both. Who the best president would be is irrelevent compared to what the people think. I'm not going to worry about who gets elected, because Americans will get whoever they deserve. My energy can be better spent educating my neighbors...

Hyrum Andrews said...

I wouldn't be so sure that none of the republicans will win in the general election. Check out the head to head polls. It is going to be really close either way, I think. One thing unique about this country is that there is a political dichotomy. The good thing about that is that whichever party is in power, they know that about 50% voted the other way, so they need to consider that if they want to get re-elected. (Candidates are always going for those swing votes). This explains, for example, why Obama is dancing around his very liberal past. The system has it's curses though as well. It seems to mean that only "wishy washy" people get elected, and almost completely ruling out the possibility of someone like Ron Paul to get elected. Democracy is far from perfect, just seems to be about the best we can do.

On a happy note, prop 93 failed! I've come to learn to celebrate the small victories. In California, your lucky to get that.

Sparrow said...

I love what morgan said about democracy being trusting your neighbor more than the government. Fortunately we also have a bill of rights and a judicial branch that don't allow the majority of our neighbors to infringe on our individual liberties. I don't know who is smarter Morgan or the founders?

R.Song said...

The founders are dead, and the Constitution is just a piece of paper. America is run by the people today. Just ask the IRS, Federal Reserve, Board of Education, Social Security, pork barrelling special interests, the people of Vietnam and Iraq, etc. etc. After all, a map can't drive a car.

Sparrow said...

Yes a map can't drive a car, but if we want to end up where we want to go we need to drive our care as outlined by the map. Thant is why the constitution was created in the first place... so it's more than just a piece of paper, it's the guide that keeps freedom in and tyranny out.